This time, it’s about cooking some breakfast dish so quickly in Kerala style. So, here I bring to you the traditional poola-mathi combination aka Casava-Sardine combination. So, let us first talk about cooking Casava.
Procedure for cooking Casava/Tapioca with Sardines (Kappa with Mathi)
1) Casava aka Tapioca-1 Kilogram
2) Salt-2 teaspoon
3) Chilli-1 or 2
- Peel the skin and cut Casava into small pieces and wash to remove the mud
- Take a vessel and put the washed Casava with salt and water (put a chilly after cutting it along its length).
- Close the lid of the vessel and boil it.
- Remove the water from the vessel after boiling for a while*. And keep it in low flame for 3 to 5 minutes to make it dry.
- Now, it’s ready. Now let us think about the fish curry.
* The boiling time varies with the type of Casava used. The older one requires more boiling time. As you boil, the water will form a foam as it mixes with the starch of the Casava. So, please do not stop boiling by thinking it has got cooked very well. Take a fork or something and prick the Casava pieces and check for the stiffness. Half boiled Casava, taste like a raw bitter guard.
(1) Sardines – 20 Nos.
(2) Chili powder – 2 teaspoons
(3) Coriander powder – ½ tea spoon
(4) Turmeric powder – ½ teaspoon
(5) Green chilly – 5
(6) Ginger -a small piece crushed
(7) Tamarind – lemon sized
(8) Salt –to taste
- Curry leaves – few
- Clean the fish neatly. (Remove the scales and head, along with the internal wastes) and wash it properly.
- Take a vessel on the stove, which you wished to prepare the curry.
- Prepare a mixture of tamarind and water by squeezing it with your hand. And threw away the tamarind seeds.
- Pour this mixture into the vessel and then put the ingredients from 2 to 4 and the crushed ginger.
- After the mixture gets heated, put the cleaned fish and put the salt in accordance with the water content.
- Let it boil for around 20 minutes, in the meantime, you have to stir it slowly, without breaking the boiling fish.
- Cook for 5 more minutes in low flame and keep it close for 5 minutes before serving
- This step is optional. Some people follow this and others will not. Take another pan and keep it on the stove. Cut shallots into small pieces and get it fried in the pan with oil and curry leaves. Pour the fried items to the curry.